Here are links to websites that provide great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and cat health care.
General Cat Health
- Cornell Feline Health Center – Free easy-to-understand videos that give cat owners step-by-step instructions for trimming nails, brushing teeth, giving oral medication, and more.
- The Indoor Cat Initiative – A great resource for finding ways to enrich the life of your indoor cat. Designed by a veterinary nutritionist at The Ohio State University Veterinary School.
- Veterinary Partner – A website sponsored by Veterinary Information Network where you can find information on many cat (and other animal) related topics.
- Tufts Behavioral Clinic – Tufts Veterinary School website for preventing and solving behavior problems in cats.
- Cats International – A non-profit educational site developed to help you better understand cat behavior.
- The Cat Community – A great place to learn about cat behavior and diseases. Also sponsored by the American Association of Feline Practitioners.
Specific Cat Diseases
- Heartworm Society – Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- Chronic Renal Failure – Information on this common condition seen in older cats. Also see another CRF link.
- Revolution – This site is sponsored by Pfizer Animal Health, the makers of Revolution for cats and kittens. You will find valuable information about protecting your cat from their worst enemies: fleas, heartworms, earmites, hookworms and roundworms.
- Hyperthyroidism – Information on this disorder that is commonly found in middle-aged and older cats. Also see more information here.
- Arthritis – Information on cat joint disease and how to manage it. Also see another link here.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease – Information on a disease that can occur at all ages, but mostly affects middle-aged and older cats.
- Diabetes Mellitus – Information on feline diabetes and treatment
- Pet Health Insurance – Information on Pet Heath Insurance with many owner reviews.
- Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement – We have all experienced the pain of losing a pet. The Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement has set up this site for support during this most difficult time. You will find inspirational stories, grief counseling resources, hotline number and many other resources.
- Rainbow Bridge – Anyone who has ever lost a pet should visit this wonderful site. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members.
Toxicities / Poison Control
- National Animal Poison Control Center – This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
- ASPCA – Animal Poison Control – A list of poisonous plants, foods and household items.
- American Board of Veterinary Practitioners – Read and learn more about veterinary board certification!
- American Veterinary Medical Association – This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine.
- American Association of Feline Practitioners – The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health.
- Centers for Disease Control – CDC – The CDC website has a good, accurate information on diseases transmitted from animals to humans (called zoonotic diseases). Find out how you can keep your cat (and your family!) free from zoonotic diseases.